Don’t let your RST credential expire! The RST credential is a five-year certification. To maintain the credential, RSTs must recertify every five years or risk suspension of their RST certification. The ABSM conducts random audits as part of the recertification process. Cases which may appear to have false or misleading information could result in revocation of the credential. The ABSM will continue to offer RST recertification through 2032, when it will permanently sunset the RST credential.
- Submission of your online application, including required attachments and payment of appropriate fees. Applications are accepted beginning January 1 of the year your certification expires. Applications must be submitted and complete by the date your certification expires to ensure continued certification. View the RST recertification guidelines
- Proof of current certification in Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (attach a copy of your unexpired card to your application).
- Proof of 50 continuing education credits (CECs) earned since your initial certification submitted via the ABSM website.
OR Successful completion of the RST examination (additional fees apply).
Recertification Fee – $50.00
RST Exam – $175.00 (Required only if you did not provide proof of 50 continuing education credits.)
One-time 90-Day Extension Fee – $50.00 (Applicable during the 90 days after the expiration of your RST Certification. Applicants must be certified within the 90-day period to avoid suspension.)
Upload CEC Credits
The ABSM offers online CEC management for all Registered Sleep Technologists. This system makes it easy for you to log in anytime to upload new credits throughout the five-year period prior to your recertification. RST’s are required to complete 50 continuing education credits within five years or to retake the RST examination.
CEC Submission Process
To submit proof of completion of 50 continuing education credits:
- Register an account on the ABSM website
- Follow the instructions to upload CEC certificates or credit letters. CECs documentation must be uploaded via this website. Summary documents WILL NOT be accepted.
- Sleep-related respiratory, CME, or EEG program
- Sleep-related CECs from the following organizations:
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM)
- American Association of Sleep Technologists (AAST)
- American Association of Respiratory Care (AARC)
- The Neurodiagnostic Society (ASET)
- Canadian Sleep Society (CSS)
- State Sleep Societies
- CECs submitted from other entities will be reviewed and considered.